Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Ship competition

Yesterday Darrick had duty so the boys and I brought him dinner because the ship was serving tuna casserole. We also went to see the lights. Last night was the judging night to see which ship has the best holiday decorations. When we got there I realized how serious this was. There were guys with bionaculars "spying" on the other ships to see what they had out and then they relayed it to one another by walkie talkie.

The Hopper had lights all over, a movie screen showing "It's a wonderful life", a guy dressed up like Santa and two girls as elves. They attached a floating barge in the water next to the ship which is where Santa and his elves were.

The judge is the Admiral. He has a boat that he rides around and views the lights from the water. The Hopper's plan was when he came to judge them the elves would give him fresh baked cookies and eggnog. They also had Christmas songs playing over a loudspeaker.

Jacob could hardly take his eyes off Santa. It was fun but I have not heard yet who won. We will let you know when we hear.

1 comment:

Lee Jones said...

I guess the Navy doesn't do anything half-way, do they? Got photos? :-)