"I don't want to go to school today!" were the first words out of Micah's mouth this morning. I didn't think it was unusual because he has said that before and he usually is fine once he is downstairs and has some breakfast.
But during breakfast he told me that he thought he was getting Jacob's cough and fever. He was coughing a little so I took his temperature and it was normal.
After breakfast he started begging me to stay home. I said no and sent him upstairs to brush his teeth and I finished packing lunches.
Before I knew it, there he was again in the kitchen and he said he needed to tell me something. I said OK and sat down to listen. He burst into tears and said he didn't want to go to school today because he has detention. I asked him why and he said at Friday recess he saw a kindergartner throwing sticks and Micah threw a stick at the boy.
I talked to him about consequences for our actions and he had to serve his punishment, which is picking up flowers and leaves at lunch recess. I told him I loved him and that we all mistakes and then we have to learn our lesson.
I decided to walk him to school so I could talk to his teacher. She did not know about it yet because they get the list with their morning bulletin. She was surprised and I told her that he was upset but I wanted him to serve it.
I thought about him all day while he was at school, hoping he was okay and not too upset. Finally at 2:00 he came home smiling and said he was glad he only had detention one day. I asked him if he learned his lesson and he said yes.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
hey, if you ever want to make micah feel better, just tell him about all the detentions that uncle sam got when he was in school! :) Like the time I "pants" that kid. Or when I was talking to much in study hall.
ouch... tough lesson... Glad Micah learned from it...
And tell him about the time I got detention for twisting the chains on the swing...
He's a good kid; glad he learns his lessons so fast!
Post a Comment