Thursday, June 15, 2006

Commune Living

Me and my neighbors always joke how it seems like we live in a commune. We share everything-food, cars, watching each others' kids...the only thing we don't share is husbands! :)
But the "new" Navy has all the sailors gone more often so we all depend on each other a lot.

For example a fellow Hopper wife was told they had to move because the amount of lead in their house was too high-it was a much older home. So what do you do when you have a 7 year old and an 18 month old and you have to pack and move? I offered to take her 2 girls for the day (can I just say that girls sure do talk a lot more then boys!)

Every afternoon we hang out in the frontyard and the kids play and the moms talk. We take turns sharing snacks, running after the kids and being another set of eyes for one another. Well we played so late today that 3 moms and 9 kids all piled into my house and we made spaghetti and breadsticks for everyone. Then the kids played andthen we had cookies and a funny face contest, I think I won, and then I did a storytime for them. It was so fun. Two of the husbands are underway and one had duty tonight. It just makes it so much more bearable when you are not going through it alone. God has truly blessed me with wonderful neighbors who have now become dear friends, and special people outside of the Navy community, from church, who have been so supportive and encouraging.

3 comments:

Sam and Darcie Gutierrez said...

Jenn, that's cool! and I'm glad that I know some of the people that you are talking about now!

Nicole Leonard said...

That is so good to hear! :)

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! it is great that you have wonderful neighbors! See you tomorrow!