I am really trying to make some healthy changes in our family's eating habits.
We do not care for fish but salmon is so good for you I thought we should try it in the hopes that we will like it and be able to eat it a few times a week.
I called my parents to ask them how they prepare it and they suggested marinating it in teriyaki and then cooking it on the BBQ. I have never grilled on a charcoal BBQ but my dad gave me step by step instructions since Darrick was going to be late.
The grilling went great. I told the boys it was chicken, mixed it in with rice and they gobbled it up! I had a bit of a hard time at first getting over the mental part of eating fish but I actually liked it.
I decided not to tell Darrick what it was since I knew he might not like it. So when he got home I told him his dinner was in the fridge. I mixed his in the rice just like the boys. I was secretly watching him. He looked at it and then sniffed it and put it in the microwave.
Then he got it out and sat down on the couch to eat. He took a bite and didn't look to thrilled at the taste, so he smelled it again. Then he took another little bite. Then he stood right up walked into the kitchen and dumped it down the drain. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was done. I told him that I was watching him and saw him only take 2 bites. He then admitted that he didn't like it but he didn't want to hurt my feelings. He explained that somehow when we heated it up in the microwave the chicken somehow ended up tasting like fish.
So I told him that it was fish. Oh, he said. I guess next time I better just tell him what I am serving him...
So I am determined to make it again. How do you make it? Any suggestions...
Friday, March 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
try seasoning it with cajun type seasoning, then baking it in the oven (it's really fast) until it flakes with a fork. Then top it with lemon or lime juice.
or do a quick saute of garlic & onion in olive oil, add the chunked salmon. Cook through, adding capers and/or lemon juice(fresh). Serve over pasta.
Oh Jenn, this made me laugh out loud. I also dislike fish, but my husband really enjoys it, so I've been thinking about trying to find a way to cook something that makes us both happy. Someone told me that tilapia is a nice, lightly-flavored fish, but I have no idea how you would cook it. I've tried some in a restaurant and I actually liked it. So maybe try a lighter-tasting fish??? Let me know if you come up with something that you enjoy!
Salmon is sooooo good! I don't really like Teriaki that much... so maybe try a different mix of spices?? But grilling it is for sure the best!!!
Hey Jenn, I am not a big salmon eater, but in the resturaunt that I used to work at they served it on a cedar wood plank. I know that there are cedar chips that you can grill with instead of coal, that would give it a great taste!
Jenn, this made me laugh too. I do like salmon, along with the rest of my family. However, I place it on foil, squeeze fresh lemon juice on it (the more you put on it, the less it tastes fishy), butter, and Schillings "It's a Dilly" spices. It has lemon, dill, and other spices in it. Most people seem to like it.
I place it on foil and BBQ it till flaky. It is easy, and doesn't make your house smell fishy!
Take Care!
I love salmon but it definitely is a "fishy" fish. Talapia is not as fishy so maybe you could try that. But we get pre-marinated salmon fillets at Costco and they are sooo yummy. We usually bake them in the oven.
Why not ease into fish with some frozen fish sticks? :)
Salmon is better for you but SPAM is easier. Just give Derrick more spam and pretend its salmon. You can call it spalmon?
You told the boys it was chicken?!?!
Skip all the preperation junk and go to Costco - they have pre portioned, pre marinated salmon in individual plastic pouches in the freezer section. No fuss and WAY BETTER flavor than any recipe or restaurant I have had. Both my sister and I live off them!
Jenn,
I have a really great Salmon recipe that is called BBQ Roasted Salmon and it goes like this:
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
4 (6 oz) salmon fillets
2 TBS brown sugar
4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp grated lemon rind
3/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Cooking spray
Lemon wedges (optional)
Combine first 3 ingredients in a ziploc plastic bag, seal and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove fish from bag; discard marinade. Combine sugar and next 5 ingredients in a bowl. Rub over fish. Place in an 11x7" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400°F for 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with lemon, if desired. Serves 4
per serving: 314 calories, 14.7 g fat, 35.3 g protein, 9 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 111 mg cholesterol, 1.5 mg iron, 405 mg sodium, 30 mg calcium.
It goes great with rice mixed with tomotoes and cheese. I used to buy it in a box but can't find it on island so I made it myself and it was good. I just made rice cut up cherry tomotoes or somthing similar and added either parm cheese or shredded cheese or both. This recipe is one of the ones I use when I have guests or family over and I want to WOW them.
I hope you enjoy it.
Post a Comment