Thursday, April 10, 2008

Compassion International

Last night we had an awesome event at our church. We were able to have a woman named Michelle Tollentino come and speak to us. She is a former Compassion sponsered child who has now graduated from college. She told us her testimony of how God rescued her through Compassion and changed her life. It was very moving. There were over 250 people there.

I was there to help at the child sponser sign up table. Our family has sponsered 2 boys from two different countries for a few years now so I had experience to help. There were SO many packets to choose from it was overwhelming when people came to pick. We were often asked "How do I choose one child over another?" Many people prayed right there at the table that God would lead them to the right child.

And then last night it was "Idol Gives Back" on American Idol. It is just overwhelming to me how big the problem of poverty is-even in America, but especially Africa. We have SO much, more then we will ever need or want.

Someone said last night that God has blessed us so we can help others. If that is true then we need to start helping others and stop helping ourselves trying to chase the American Dream.

Today it makes me sick looking around my house at all the stuff I have when others have nothing.

www.compassion.com

2 comments:

B is for Boring said...

I totally agree Jenn - I sit at my kitchen table and think gee I sure would like a stainless steel refrigerator instead of that ugly white one - and just this morning I was reading about India where the average wage for a days work is less than it costs to buy food for one day - we (I) am so selfish...

Anonymous said...

I have heard Michelle's testimony and it is certainly inspiring. May the Lord bless you and you new Compassion children. Thank you for hearing and obeying the Lord's will.



(*Would you please add Jesus + Compassion to your blog roll)