Thursday, April 23, 2009

Goodbye Girls

Today we said good bye to our dearly loved Guinea Pigs, Sarah and Twinkle. We had a little ceremony and the boys each shared a favorite memory. Then they each took turns filling in the dirt. Micah placed the headstone and Jacob put flowers.

One year ago we brought home 2 little baby guinea pigs. Micah's was white and he named her Sarah and Jacob's was brown and white and he named her Twinkle. They have been awesome pets and we all loved them dearly.

Yesterday morning they were fine. We even had a friend over and we played with them and held them. We have a little fenced in area in our backyard where we often put the girls, so they can get out of their cage and run around.

A few hours later I went outside to put them back in their cage and as soon as I stepped out the door I knew something was wrong, they were just laying there. I went closer and they were dead. I was shocked! I went into the house crying and Micah asked what was wrong and I told him and he started crying. Jacob ran into the room and Micah told him and Jake fell to the ground in tears. It was horrible.

One of our dear friends, Jen S., came over and helped by getting them wrapped up and put in a shoebox while we all watched and cried.

We have no idea what happened and why they both died at the same time...the heat? something they ate? they were sick?

I guess one of the major bummers is Jacob was supposed to bring Twinkle to school tomorrow to share with his class. His teacher is SO awesome and when I told her this morning what happened, she called the librarian right away and got a book about losing a pet and shared it with the class and then had a talk with the kids.

Micah is handling it way better then Jacob and Naomi is clueless. Jacob had a huge melt down tonight and said he can't stop thinking about Twinkle dying and that he wanted to get her out of the shoebox. It was breaking my heart to hold him while he was sobbing. Jacob has such a tender heart for animals.

We talked about getting another pet when we move to Washington. Micah decided on a rat he will name Junior and Jacob wants a dog named Ruby.

4 comments:

B is for Boring said...

Oh Jenn - I am so sorry...

Nicole Leonard said...

What a shock! I'm sooo sorry. :( Give the boys a big hug for me. When you said Jacob wanted to take Twinkle out of the shoebox... Breaks my heart.

Kendrew said...

Wow that is so sad! We have a cute guinea pig named Sugar. We loved her dearly, I hope your boys do okay.

Sam and Darcie Gutierrez said...

that is so sad... :(