- Eating Better: to do this I am learning how to cook more things. I am trying to cut out preservatives and artificial things. Going back to the basics. If we have refried beans I will buy beans, soak them and then cook them. It is going to be a huge learning process.
- As we run out, we replace: I am not throwing everything out in my kitchen and starting over. I have about 10 boxes of mac and cheese I got at Costco that I will use up. Then I will try to find a way to make it myself.
- I started to become more aware of how artificial things and food dyes affect kids behavior. We have been having behavior problems with Naomi and thought it is worth a try.
- I am also carrying this over to products we use on and in our bodies and at our house.
- I am going to incorporate exercise into my week at least 3 times.
I have been searching the Internet for new recipes and tried one out tonight. I found it on a website called Paul's Grains. The kids all loved it and I did too! I changed it a little bit but you can find the original recipe on their website.
Banana Cake:
Cream well: 1 cup honey and 3/4 cup oil
Add: 2 eggs and 1 cup mashed bananas
Beat till well mixed.
Sift together: 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt
Add to creamed mixture with 1/2 cup milk.
Fold in 1/2 cup flax seed meal.
Bake in greased 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
4 comments:
Hey Jenn. I think it is so great to try new things and re-evaluate how we eat. We have been trying the same basic principles that you stated since Lydia was born...however, it is just a continual learning process. And it takes time. Having our garden has really helped. I still do have boxed mac and cheese about once per week for lunch because it is my all time favorite! Also, I have found that cooking beans (like black beans or chick peas is actually easy, cheaper and I think they taste better.
good job, Jenn! Proud of you! Next, it's the chickens! :)
Good for you Jenn - I read recently that one in every 110 kids has some form of Autism and the preservative chemicals in our foods might be to blame... not sure if it is true but a scary thought...
I want to try the banana cake now! I love your 2011 healthy life goals. You go girl!
Post a Comment