Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Jacob's first day

Yesterday was hard.  Darrick stayed home from work so we could both take Jacob on his first morning.  I was SO anxious and nervous but he seemed okay.  As we walked to school he was quiet. 

When we arrived we went to the office and found out who his teacher would be and that he was in a 4th/5th combination class.  I found that interesting since I was in combination classes 4th-6th grade.  As the principal walked us to his classroom, there were many teachers for him to meet-music teacher, computer, PE teacher.  He found out that he would be having PE so that was a plus-he loves PE.  When we arrived at his classroom, the teacher was not there so we said we would wait while the principal went about her routine.  The kids were all lined up outside.  So we waited.

He started to get tears in his eyes and said he wanted to go back home, he wasn't ready.  It took everything in me to hold it together.  I wanted to hug him tightly and say "You're right, let's go back home!"  But Darrick and I encouraged him, told him we were so proud of him, hugged him and said he could do it.

The kids and the teacher all came a few minutes later.  Right away the teacher introduced him to his buddy for the day.This kid was a crack-up!  Have you ever seen the Princess Bride?  You know the guy who introduces himself with the long Spanish name...well that was just how this kid was.  He said "Hello.  My name is ________.  I am 10 years old and in the 5th grade, but I will not pick on you."  Jacob smiled and went into the classroom. 

I didn't want to leave.  I wanted to stay and make sure he would be okay.  I wanted to sit next to him and make sure he understood everything.  But I didn't.  After we gave the teacher his classroom supplies, we left.  Once we were out of Jacob's sight, I burst into tears and I cried all the way home.  It was so hard.

Thankfully I had a project to work on.  We are working on Naomi's room-getting it ready for a sister! (Pictures of the room soon!)  So I painted all day yesterday...and all day I thought about Jake and prayed for him.

I could hardly wait at the end of the day to pick him up and make sure he was okay.  He liked it and he had a good day.  He really liked his teacher and said she was very kind.  He loved PE.  He said he sat by some kids at lunch that had potty mouths which he didn't like.  The good thing was that he said he wanted to go back. Whew!





No comments: