Saturday, August 25, 2007

Who knew?

When Micah was in kindergarten at Lehua he was always at the top of his class and often complained about why he had to do this stuff because he already knew it.

So when we moved him to Iroquois Point Elementary we liked the fact that they got higher scores in testing and they had a program for gifted and talented. So at the start of the year they said that parents could fill out a form if they would like their child tested. I talked to Mrs. Hudson about her thoughts and she said that she had noticed Micah was ahead of the others in the class and said she would endorse him being tested.

This is the first year that the school is opening up the program to K, 1 and 2 grades.

So for 3 days Micah was pulled out of class, by Mrs. Jennifer Gutierrez, and given four different types of tests. We got the results this week and Micah was accepted into the program. When I talked to Mrs. Gutierrez she said that they measure his scores with national scores of other kids who are the same age down to the the exact month. Your scores could either place you in the Gifted and Talented Range or Enrichment (lower). Well Micah scored in the Gifted and Talented.

There are 2 second graders and 3 first graders who made it into the program. So two times a week from 8:15-9:30 Micah goes to class in a different classroom with the other four kids and has class with Mrs. Gutierrez.

6 comments:

Sam and Darcie Gutierrez said...

wow. that's exciting!

Anonymous said...

I guess he takes after his mom.

Nicole Leonard said...

I'm not surprised... :) Micah is such a smart boy! And he has a smart mommy so why wouldn't he be in the Gifted & Talented program??

Lee Jones said...

I agree! I didn't "know" but I suspected it!

Jeff and Beth Gutierrez said...

Congratulations, Micah! I'm proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Hey dude, you da man!!!